Sunday, July 13, 2008

Catching Up


Even though I previously posted about missing America on its birthday, I still managed to have a memorable 4th of July weekend. Besides the obvious missing pieces (friends, family, and fireworks), we managed to have a fun-filled weekend of Americana.

Thanks to one of our (American) bosses hospitality in (always) hosting us at his house for American holidays, we had a nice backyard BBQ on the 4th, complete with a makeshift slip ‘n slide, lentil burgers (for all those hippie PC vegetarians), and my homemade macaroons (definitely a hit, not gonna lie). The day after the big boss’s BBQ, a several PCVs got together for a wickedly fun game of pick-up softball. Three hours or 15 fifteen innings later, the team I was playing on (and yes I played---remember, I was a 2nd base player and a decent hitter when I was 10 years old) won 41-40 (no that’s not a football score, honest). I left with really sore quads and the realization that I really need to incorporate sprinting into my running routine. The following day, my PCV friend, Ellie, and I, organized an Open-Mic Night for all PCVs that were in town at a friend’s outdoor garden bar. Despite my worries, the night was an absolute success and a fun time was had by all (or so we’re told).


This past week, I was co-facilitating the 1st year health Volunteers In-Service Training. I believe it’s been going fairly smoothly so far (it continues through next week), but admittedly after 1.5 weeks in the Kombos (urban area), I am suffering from a multitude of ‘symptoms’, such as being easily irritated when more than 5 PCVs are in the same room as me, annoyed when taxi drivers try to pick me up while I’m walking in the opposite direction to which they’re driving, and just suffering from general restlessness of being ‘connected’ to American life, but not actually being there.

Despite my fun (and slight frustration) in Kombo, it’ll be fun to return to site next weekend as there is plenty to be done---rainy season has started and people are planting (have planted) their rice, millet, groundnuts and corn. The mosquitoes are breeding, and therefore, so is the malaria. And I realize this is my last rainy season, so I better buckle down and do all that I want while I can.

The village’s women’s gardens revitalization project is progressing, albeit slowly. Because of my schedule and the farmers’ necessity to sow their fields based on the arrival of the rains, the work on the garden has been delayed a bit. However, in all honesty, it’s better that way, as long as the
fence is completed by the end of August. Once completed, the women will be able to utilize it post-rainy season, which, admittedly, is the better time to actually sow certain vegetables. Posted are pictures depicting the miraculous (and certainly ridiculous)






transportation of 47 bundles of chicken wire and 60 kilos of nails 300 kms up-country, on a ferry, in a vehicle, across another ferry, and in a tractor-like vehicle from my friend’s hardware store (my version
of the Home Depot) to my village on a water-filled,
pothole-riddled road during a high wind, flooding rain storm. Just another day in The Gambia… Thanks again for all your support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home