Saturday, April 07, 2007

The End of Training

Hello Everyone!

This is just a brief post to let you all know that I am alive and doing well in The Gambia. After one bout with dysentery and conjunctivitis (in both eyes!), my ten week training period is coming to a close and if all goes well, I'll be sworn in as a Volunteer on Friday, April 13.

The last two months have been filled with a multitude of emotions, feelings, thoughts, and experiences. I am learning Mandinka, one of three major languages here. I've been living in a village with two other trainees and have studied/learned/practiced the language and tried to gain a better understanding of the culture. Some weeks were tough, some were great. Some minutes were fantastic and within the same hour, other minutes were unbearable. Emotions change quickly and so does one's outlook. Overall, though, I'm doing well here and trying to take it all in with a positive outlook. After all, this whole experience is what I make of it.

My host family during training was initially overwhelming---a father, two mothers (polygamy is practiced here), and a ton of children, ranging from 4 months-28 years old. All in all I had about 15 brothers and sisters in my compound. I'd grown to love my family and will miss them a ton when I move to my permanent site.

My diet consists of rice, fish, and peanuts (prepared in a variety of ways). Recently, I've been able to score some mangoes (there are a ton of trees all over here), bananas, and some green, leafy vegetables called 'jambo'. The days are hot here my house registered 104 the other day), and it will be even hotter in the next two months. The rainy season begins in mid-June; hopefully everything will be green/luscious by then. I can't wait! I've also become accustomed to fetching water carrying buckets filled with water on my head (yes, I'm serious), taking bucket baths at sunset, and writing by candlelight.

On April 15, I move to my permanent site, which is located directly in the middle of the country, south of the River Gambia. I'll be living in a fairly remote place, which is 7 km from the main road and I'll become a master at transport here and possibly even the art of hiring a donkey cart. My site is beautiful as there's forest, the River, and farmland all within a small kilometer radius. I'll be having to bike a lot and am looking forward to keeping in shape and even perhaps running along the various footpaths/dirt roads. My work at site is still kind of vague, and I will be entering a three month challenge upon swearing in. This time allows for me assess the needs of my village and my community. I'll be working with a community health nurse, public health officer, and the director of a regional health center. Although my job description is vague, it is nice to know that I'll be able to mold and craft my work here as something that is my own, and hopefully something that members of the community/need want.

In the meantime, please know that I miss all of you and there are many days that I think about my time back in the States with each of you.

Please check my blog throughout this week, as pictures will be uploaded and more blog entries will be posted. Care package wish lists and other musings will be posted shortly!

Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying this week---relaxing at the beach, eating ice cream, drinking cold drinks, and attending some more training workshops.

Happy Easter and all the best to everyone! Please know you are thought of and missed!

Love,
Stephanie

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

i hear you like mojitos.

onegeekpete.blogspot.com

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home