Thursday, July 05, 2007

2 Month Challenge...DONE! 21Months to Go!

Two month challenge is over and I survived, only having suffered 1.5 bouts of self-diagnosed giardia.

Life in my permanent village is good. Admittedly, though, some days are better than others, but on the 'not-so-good' days, I try to remind myself that I got through the previous 'not-so-good' days, so why would today be any different?

My host family is great, and I definitely lucked out with my family. The family is HUGE, in that I have an elderly father, his three (3!!) wives, their respective children, and their children's children. Overall, the compound is chaotic, with lots of yelling, screaming, and children crying for long periods of time (that's what Gambian children do---they cry for about three minutes and then they fake cry for about ten more. (I've been known to time them on occasion.) Despite all the chaos, my family really loves to laugh, so I fit right in!!! (I guarantee you they spend A LOT of time laughing AT me, but not ALL their time.)

My language is coming along...slowly, slowly, and I'd like to hire a tutor in my village, but I can't seem to pick out the right person. My work has begun and my two months of trying to assess what projects to embark on in the next two years have passed. (Of course, there's always time to reassess). Some potential projects include: working with the local school's agriculture department to better fence their garden, teaching English and health classes at the school, starting women's literacy classes in my village, helping my village's nursery school, expanding my village's garden, revamping two women's gardens, and hopefully starting a children's arts club. I also go on trek with the area's health unit to assist with clinic days in the village. I usually help weigh babies and screen children for immunizations and malnutrition.

Overall, site is good and when I go away for a few days, I definitely miss my host family. Despite them being far from the 'typical American family', they do provide a definite family feel. One of my host brothers already talks of my leaving in two years, and we've already decided that it'll be bittersweet.

Note of Thanks:
To all of you have written me letters and/or sent packages...thanks so much!!! They all are appreciated and the letters still mean soooo much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home