Monday, July 16, 2007

Some of My New, New Hobbies



(Above is my farmer friend, Mbille Ceesay-yellow shirt and funny hat. Mbille and I go to the garden every evening and try to build the fence and prepare the fence before the rains really come. Mbille is crazy, but a good crazy and he's hardworking.)

So in this journey called Peace Corps, I'm learning a lot about myself and my abilities/talents/qualities I never realized I had or recently acquired...

Since I've been at site now for almost three-months and I'm beginning (slowly, slowly) to embark on projects, with which I hope to put these new talents to use:

-Digging holes for fence posts with a lead pipe
-Laying eucalyptus tree logs into dug-out fence post holes
-Communicating in Mandinglish (Mandinka/English) with my crazy farmer friend, Mbille Ceesay
-Nailing barbed wire to wooden fence points
-Searching for chicken wire amongst the weekly market
-Having Mandinglish conversations on my mobile
-Waking up to the rains falling on my corrugate roof and running outside to close my windows whilst not getting TOO soaked
-Clicking my tongue as to express my disgust and disdain
-Scoring free fruit from the market sellers
-Talking to myself so as to keep myself sane (No really, it helps!)
-Wiping out on sand patches whilst riding my bike and having old men laugh at me as I stumble to the ground
-Instilling faith in the villagers that I'm an expert gardener, teacher, and health care worker.
-Walking peacefully with donkeys, cows, sheep, and goats
-Painting cement and plaster walls
-Weeding my backyard, weekly
-Pseudo beating-up my little brother when he speaks Mandinka too fast
-Hanging out under cashew trees in hopes that small children will NOT find me (they find me every, single time.)

1 Comments:

Blogger sixtothe20 said...

I just stumbled across your Facebook page again, and it led me to your blog. It's amazing to read about what you've been doing! I'm headed to Rwanda in a few weeks to install a water treatment system with Engineers Without Borders, and I can't wait! Keep blogging! (:

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home