Sunday, September 30, 2007

Driving Along in My Mind

16 August 2007

Another random writing

It has been brought to my attention that I haven't driven a car for almost seven months now. I have memories of cruising around (if you can call it cruising in my '94 Ford Taurus wagon with half its bumper missing-thanks drunk driver, hit and run!) listening to tunes.

Here, every morning I turn on my sort wave radio and listen to the Moroccan radio station (RIP iPod-read post). I have no clue what they're saying- "I don't speak French, but they play good music on occasion. However, on some days the music selection is worse than poor. There have been covers struggling artists. Covers of Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, and even some Motown. MY favorite so far has been the mellowed "Sugar Pie Honeybunch" by the Four Tops. Whenvere I hear this song, it puts a smirk on my face for two reasons: 1) The cover is so pitiful that Levi Stubbs would be crying if he heard it and 2) I can't help but think of my mother driving the '88 Crown Vic around, listening to her Four Tops cassette tape. She'd sing "Sugar Pie Honeybunch" and remove her hands from the steering wheel (much to my fear and awe) and wave them around as if she were one of the groups long lost member. She'd have a smile on her face and be singing, both dimples showing.

Every time we rode in that car, she'd put the cassette in and we'd sing "Bernadette" or one of the other groups greatest hits.

Susan drives the Crown Vic now (or did you finally get rid of it?) and the tape deck likes to eat tapes. The past few years, Mom and I would take road trips to Pittsburgh, but now she drives the Buick and instead of the Four Tops, we listen to Morrissey...really loud.

Road Trip in 2009, Mom? I'll be ready...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home