Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Answer Is NO.

This week, I'm in Kombo to take care of some medical stuff (don't worry, I'm not dying), and this morning I went for a run to the beach. My runs to/on the beach in the past have been fairly mundane, with the exception of when one of my fellow Volunteers was bitten by a dog as we were running down a cliff trail. However, this morning, within the 40 minutes of my run, I was asked by four Rasta-bumsters if they could join me on my run. Instead of playing along with them and giving them a hard time back, I decided that I didn't have the energy to deal with them, so each time one asked, "Can I join you?" I simply replied, "NO." As I walked to the office this morning, I was greeted by a man coming from one of the cross junctions, who asked if I'd like to "take breakfast". Again, I replied a firm "NO."

Nonetheless, I think I'll be well prepared for my re-entrance into city life when I return to the States. I'll be able to handle cat calls, annoying taxi drivers, and crazy street merchants with ease.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home