Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My Musings and Brain Farts from the Past 2.5 Months


* One of my host brothers in training village, Yusefa, frequently wore a pink baby doll t-shirt that had the word 'TEASE' written on it. I was compelled to take a picture, but I thought that'd be mean. It made me laugh every time he wore it.

Journal Entry, March 7, 2007, 6:16pm
* I just came home from language class in village, and I have the impulse to "check my answering machine."

Journal Entry, March 7, 2007, 11:05pm
* I just used my pit latrine. I often wonder if I'll ever stop imagining the sound of a toilet flushing when I put the cover back on it. I kinda hope I don't, as it makes me laugh EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Journal Entry, March 8, 2007, 10:16am
* I think I should start singing "I always feel like someone is watching me" when using my pit latrine. (There were a few cracks in my fence and one day I found my little 5 year old brother peeping when I was sneakily eating cheese and crackers on my shower bench).

* When goats "baa" (do goats even baa?!?), it's sometimes hard to determine if it indeed is a goat baa-ing or a child that's crying/yelping. One day I thought I heard a goat yell "toubab". (Toubab is what white people are called here, particularly by little children who run after you while on your bike and scream "Toubab, give me minti (candy)!")

Journal Entry, March 20, 2007, 6:56pm
* I just rinsed my black bandanna out as it fell in the muck by the well where the cows hang out. When I squeezed the excess water out, it still smelled like the dryer sheets we use at home. HAPPINESS.

Journal Entry, March 21, 2007
* Kaniyleng (sp?) dancing (see above picture) is like the Philadelphia Mummer's strut on crack. (For all of you from Philly, this one's for you. I'll show you the actual video when I come home so you can see what I mean.)

*Rarely do I ever think to turn on a light switch. I guess all those years of walking around in the dark at home, Mom and Dad, really paid off. No, really it's because there are no switches to turn on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home